Winter is Over-
For me, there are not many things that usher in the arrival of Spring quite like fresh asparagus. It’s debut this year was most welcome, after an unusually cold winter. I have always loved Cream of Asparagus Soup, and this seemed like as good a time as any to make some! I really wanted to showcase the asparagus flavor in this recipe. This is definitely not the Cream of Asparagus soup you’ve eaten from a can, and its so easy to make! This soup has few ingredients, but I think most often it’s the simplest of dishes that shine the most.
Helpful Tips for Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Roasting the Asparagus really boosts the overall flavor of this soup. Don’t skip this step! If you need to roast it ahead of time, it will store just fine in the fridge for a couple of days until you are ready to use it.
- I prefer using homemade chicken stock, but if you are using store bought I recommend the low sodium variety. Vegetable stock would be great here as well.
- This recipe is easily doubled or even tripled. It makes a wonderful workday lunch. Just bring a small container to work and reheat!
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can run this through the blender to puree, just be sure to do it in batches.
- This will keep in the refrigerator for about five days tightly covered. It reheats nicely!
This soup makes a wonderful light dinner served with a salad, and the addition of creme fraiche and fresh chives lend a little acidity and round out the flavor profile quite nicely. You can eat this Cream of Asparagus Soup without them, but the extra layer of flavors really make this pop. I love to eat this with my Salad With Fried Goat Cheese, they pair really nicely together.
You can make creme fraiche to serve with the soup, and I show exactly how in my post How to Make Creme Fraiche. It’s surprisingly easy!
I hope you enjoy this simple and lovely soup. Happy Cooking!
- 1 Pound (about 4 cups) Chopped Roasted Asparagus
- 1/2 cup Chopped Shallot
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp Salt, divided
- 1 tsp Pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 1 Tbsp of the oil and 1 tsp of the salt and 1/2 tsp of the pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until asparagus is lightly browned, stirring once or twice during roasting.
- In a large stock pot, heat the avocado oil on medium heat, and saute the shallot for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Remove the asparagus from the oven and add to the pot. Add the remaining salt and pepper and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and allow to come to a boil, then turn heat down to medium and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, and using an immersion blender puree the soup until smooth. Serve topped with creme fraiche and chopped fresh chives.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 581mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g